December 2, 2008|Clark Realty|Big Island: History and Culture
"There was once a golf course in Volcano Village, which not many people remember. The old clubhouse still stands on Maile and Anuhea Circle. It had a pair of small rooms that golfers bunked in overnight. The location was between Kalani Honua Loop, Anuhea Circle and Maile Ave."
In the 1920's the present golf course began with three holes, one of which was inside the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The greens were fenced to keep the cows from the adjacent Keauhou Ranch from trampling the tended greens, but the fairways were cow pasture in those days. They had an event called the "Tomato Can Tournament." The cups were made from tomato cans, hence the name.
Roy Blackshear of the Shipman family played an important part in organizing those early events. Later, the Keauhou Ranch moved the family home and barns to a new location next to the winery, to allow for the expansion that was to come. Soon, C. Brewer came along to build the existing clubhouse and... Read More
Tagsgolf, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hilo, Keauhou, ranch, Volcano Fairways Estates, Volcano Village